The New York State Office of Children and Family Services Announces $100 Million in Federal Funds to Address Child Care Deserts
Funding will support new child care programs and programs that want to expand their business:
The New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) announced that $30 million in grant funding is available to existing licensed, registered or permitted child care programs in areas of the state with the least supply, known as child care deserts. The funds, which are part of a $100 million child care initiative approved in the 2021 Enacted Budget, are being made available through the American Rescue Plan Act and will be administered by OCFS.
Second Round RFA #2- Expanding Child Care Businesses:
This grant is for existing child care providers looking to expand their business under their current license. Beginning July 20th, 2022, you may apply for the Child Care Deserts Grant. The application must be submitted by August 24th, 2022. Existing providers are providers who were licensed/registered/permitted BEFORE January 28th, 2022.
For Day Care Centers (including NYC Article 47 Centers and School Age Child Care Programs):
To expand up to 25 NEW child care slots under their existing license
For Small Day Care Centers/Family Day Care/Group Family Day Care Programs:
To provide at least ONE of the following:
- Expand program hours to include at least 15 hours of nontraditional hour care a week
- Provide services to at least one newly enrolled infant or toddler
- Provide services to at least one newly enrolled child with special needs
All awarded programs will be expected to participate and enroll in the QualityStarsNY program.
1. Review the OCFS website. Click here. This will help you understand how it works and can answer most of your initial questions.
2. Review the grant requirements and determine if your program is eligible.
3. Request an application.
4. Submit the Grant Application.
NYS Child Care Deserts Business Courses
Core Business Series available at this time:
All sessions listed below are classroom style held at 6724 Thompson Road in Syracuse
The trainings being offered are "Strengthening Business Practices" trainings via the National Center on Early Childhood Quality Assurance.
These are different from the COR Business Series taught by Kristi Cusa.
- Wed, Feb 15th Marketing Your Program Pt 1 6:30-8:00 pm
- Wed. Mar 1st Marketing Your Program Pt 2 6:30-8:00 pm
- Sat, Mar 4th Marketing Your Program Intensive TA Workshop 9:00-11:30 am
- Wed, Mar 8th Strengthening Fiscal Management Budgets, Projections & Planning Pt 1 6:30-8:00 pm
- Wed, Mar 22nd Strengthening Fiscal Management Budgets, Projections & Planning Pt 2 6:30-8:00 pm
- Sat, Mar 25th Strengthening Fiscal Management Budgets, Projections & Planning Intensive TA Workshop 9:00-11:30 am
- Wed, Apr 5th Financial Reports & Internal Controls Pt 1 6:30-8:00 pm
- Wed. Apr 19th Financial Reports & Internal Controls Pt 2 6:30-8:00 pm
- Sat. Apr 22nd Financial Reports & Internal Controls Intensive TA Workshop 9:00-11:30 am
- Wed. May 3rd Recruiting & Retaining Staff Pt 1 6:30-8:00 pm
- Wed. May 10th Recruiting & Retaining Staff Pt 2 6:30-8:00 pm
- Sat. May 13th Recruiting & Retaining Staff Intensive TA Workshop 9:00-11:30 am