The New York State Office of Children and Family Services Announces $70 Million in Federal Funds to Address Child Care Deserts
Funding will support new child care programs and programs that want to expand their business:
The New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) announced that $30 million in grant funding is available to existing licensed, registered or permitted child care programs in areas of the state with the least supply, known as child care deserts. The funds, which are part of a $100 million child care initiative approved in the 2021 Enacted Budget, are being made available through the American Rescue Plan Act and will be administered by OCFS.
Second Round RFA #2- Expanding Child Care Businesses:
This grant is for exisiting child care providers looking to expand their business under their current license. Beginning June 30th, 2022, you may apply for the Child Care Deserts Grant. The application must be submitted by August 4th, 2022. Existing providers are providers who were licensed/registered/permitted BEFORE January 28th, 2022.
For Day Care Centers (including NYC Article 47 Centers and School Age Child Care Programs):
To expand up to 25 NEW child care slots under their existing license
For Small Day Care Centers/Family Day Care/Group Family Day Care Programs:
To provide at least ONE of the following:
- Expand program hours to include at least 15 hours of nontraditional hour care a week
- Provide services to at least one newly enrolled infant or toddler
- Provide services to at least one newly enrolled child with special needs
All awarded programs will be expected to participate and enroll in the QualityStarsNY program.
1. Register for one of our informational sessions. Visit our training calendar and search through to find a session that works with your schedule. These sessions will help you understand the process better, let you ask any questions you may have and can get you up to speed with your next steps and guide you through the process.
2. Review the OCFS website. Click here. This will help you understand how it works and can answer most of your initial questions.
3. Review the grant requirements and determine if your program is eligible.
4. Request an application.
5. Submit the Grant Application.
Sessions will be offered to help you understand the process for the NYS Deserts Project. These sessions will cover eligibility criteria, available funding, award calculation, allowable expenses, scoring, and deliverables. You can register on our CALENDAR. There are no sessions available right now. Look out for e-mails and announcements about these sessions.
NYS Child Care Deserts Business Courses
We will offer business courses for participants in the Child Care Deserts Grant to help with expanding their child care business. You will recieve training where you can learn about how to expanded, regulations, budgeting/costs, and more. These courses will be a certifcate course. You can register on our CALENDAR. There are no sessions available right now. Look out for e-mails and announcements about these sessions.