The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is a federal program which reimburses registered, licensed, and legally exempt child care providers for serving meals and snacks which meet the USDA guidelines to the children in their care. Child care providers are in a unique position to help shape a lifetime of healthy eating. Through financial assistance and nutrition education CACFP supports providers who want to improve the quality of nutrition offered at a critical time in young children’s development.
All licensed, registered, and legally exempt child care providers are eligible to participate in CACFP. Food Program participants will provide meals and snacks which meet USDA guidelines to all the children in their child care and participants will keep daily menu and attendance records. Participants can do all record keeping on-line using Minute Menu. At the end of each month participants will submit these records to the food program. Participants will also attend 1 free nutrition training each year.
Each month participants will receive a check based on the number of meals and snacks served. You can be reimbursed for a maximum of two meals and one snack or two snacks and one meal per day. There are two rates of reimbursement, the tier 1 rate is for providers who are in a low income area or household, and the tier 2 rate is for everyone else.
As a Participant in CACFP, you will be responsible for:
- offering children nutritious meals and snacks in accordance with U.S.D.A. guidelines
- introducing children to a variety of food
- teaching children about food and nutrition
- providing children with a safe and healthy environment for dining
- acting as a role model by demonstrating healthy eating and appropriate dining behavior
- complying with rules set by the NYS Department of Health
- keeping daily records of the foods served and the number of meals served to each child
- permitting the CACFP sponsor to visit your home to review meal service
- submitting monthly paperwork
- participating in annual nutritional training
As a CACFP Sponsor, Child Care Solutions will be responsible for:
- determining eligibility
- enforcing rules and regulations
- giving providers the forms they need
- visiting providers' homes to observe meal service
- reviewing menus to assure meals meet nutritional requirements
- reimbursing providers
- providing nutritional training and support
CACFP Rates - effective July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013
If you qualify for Tier 1 rates are - Breakfast $1.27 Lunch/Supper $2.38 Snack $ .71
If you qualify for Tier 2 rates are - Breakfast $ .46 Lunch/Supper $1.44 Snack $ .19
For questions on the Child & Adult Care Food Program contact
Michelle Wolstenholme @ 315-446-1220 ext. 346
Food related Resource Links are availble for additional information on the benefits of the CACFP food program.