|A Health Care Consultant provides education, support and resources on a variety of health and safety issues to child care providers and programs. In New York State, a Health Care Consultant must have a valid New York State license to practice as a physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, or registered nurse.
Child Care Solutions' Health Care Consultant is a Registered Nurse, and she offers guidance and training to help providers comply with New York State's child care regulations regarding, (but not limited to) medication administration.
In NYS programs that choose to administer medication other than over the counter topical ointments such as diaper cream and sun screen must have the following in place:
- Successful completion of the OCFS approved Medication Administration Training (MAT) course; (providers are eligible for a rebate upon passing the class)
- Be 18 years of age, with current CPR and First Aid
- Have a Health Care Plan approved by OCFS, and a Health Care Consultant
- Have a Health Care Consultant of record
At Child Care Solutions our Health Care Consultant Service includes:
- Assistance in developing a health care plan that reflects the specific needs of the program and meets both regulatory requirements and best practice recommendations.
- Regulatory Health Care Consultant approval of the health care plan for programs that administer medication.
- At least one site visit per calendar year to assure that the program is reasonably following the health care plan, and provides technical assistance as needed.
- A yearly review of documents related to medication administration and medication administration policies.
- Provides information related to the health and safety of children, and proper infection control techniques.
- Provides information and training as necessary when working with children with special health care needs.
- Provides trainings at Child Care Solutions on various topics, including MAT and Emergency Medication Administration under the Emergency Medication Waiver.
- Provides assistance as needed based on each individual program, their needs, and requests within the role of Health Care Consultant as defined by OCFS.
You can contact our Health Care Consultant, Melody Scanlon at MelodyS@childcaresolutionscny.org or (315) 446-1220, ext. 332 if you have any questions or need additional information.
Need more information about the MAT courses?